About Centre of Excellence in Naturopathy and Yoga
Naturopathy is an art and science of healthy living and a drugless system of healing based on well-founded philosophy.
About College and Hospital
India’s premier College of Naturopathy & Yogic Sciences is established in the year 1989managed by SDM Educational Society(R), Ujire. College offers 5 1⁄2 years undergraduate(BNYS-Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences) Medical Degree Course and affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Karnataka and recognized by Govt. of Karnataka and having intake capacity of 120 students per year. The college is also offering three years Post Graduate Courses (M.D) and Doctoral Programs in Naturopathy and Yoga for the first time in the country. Students from all over India &Abroad are studying in this college. More than 1000 doctors have graduated and are well placed in their profession in India and Abroad. This college is attached to the 500 bedded Teaching Hospitals in two places “Shanthivana”, Dharmasthala, “Soukyavana”,Pareeka, Udupi, “Kshemavana” Bangalore. Hospital provides treatment modalities like:Hydrotherapy, Mud Therapy, Massage Therapy, Diet and Nutrition, Yoga therapy, Physiotherapy and Acupuncture etc. We train more than 3 lakhs school children in Yoga in 9 districts of Karnataka every year under Yoga & Moral Education program and are the recipient of Guinness World Record in Yoga in 2014. This College has 10 Yoga & Nature cure Outpatient Centers in PPP model 10 districts of Karnataka.
The Government of India, Ministry of AYUSH recognized our institution for Centre of Excellence in Research Center in Naturopathy & Yogic Sciences in 2018 after screening the track records of our institution with the view of up gradation and standardization of the existing facilities. This program will be for 3 years mainly meant for research on three important Metabolic and Lifestyle Disorders. As per Scheme guidelines we have to achieve various deliverables as per scheme guidelines in each year of the project.
This is the compilation of activities and achievement of the Second year of COE mainly focusing on the progress of the Center, procurement of necessary research and treatment equipments, execution of the project under the guidance of ministry of AYUSH Govt. of India.
Naturopathy is an art and science of healthy living and a drugless system of healing based on well-founded philosophy. Gandhiji himself was an ardent follower of Naturopathy. Yoga has its place in the system of psychosomatic medicine for the prevention and alleviation of diseases as well as promotion of health. Both these disciplines are evolved components of complementary and alternative medicine under the aegis of AYUSH with their utmost relevance in the prevention and management of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs).
Under the leadership of the Principal Dr. Prashanth Shetty, SDM College of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences attracted large number of students to Bachelors and Masters Courses in Yoga and Naturopathy. The college along with SDM Yoga and Nature Cure Hospital with its 27 years of track record has pioneered Yoga and Naturopathy treatments for Non-Communicable Diseases. Since its inception I had a mission to conduct research in Naturopathy and Yoga. My dream has been taken forward by our Principal through Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India and applied for the Centre of Excellence (COE) scheme in 2012.
The COE would facilitate research training and serve as a referral centre for other yoga and naturopathy colleges and hospitals to work for the development of clinical guidelines based on naturopathy and yoga for metabolic and non-communicable diseases. It is established with the aim to create both professional and patient awareness about the same and their preventive strategies, develop education material, clinical advocacy and regulatory guidelines that would support both conventional and AYUSH institutions in the prevention and treatment of metabolic diseases.
- Research in Naturopathy and Yoga – Dream of our Rev. President from the inception of Naturopathy institutions.
- This concept was well taken by our Principal and went through the scheme guidelines of Ministry of AYUSH, GoI through the AYUSH website and applied for the CoE in 2012.
- 2014 – CoE budget raised from 5 crores to 10 crores
- July 2014- Re submission of application for 10 crores to GoI thorugh GoK.
- Sept 2014 – Project deferred by AYUSH ministry saying N & Y institution does not need this much money.
- Sept 2014 – Justification letter sent as a reply for this issue
- June 2015- PAC asked the institution for presentation
- July 2016- Revised scheme guidelines issued
- Visit of institution for screening
- Feb 2016 – PAC recommends change of title
- March 2017-Final approval with implication of revised guidelines (60:40)
- May 2017-Letter sent for re considering 60:40 decision
- Oct 2017- 60:40 sharing decision waived off
- Feb 2018- all the documents submitted for release of first installment
- Applied for the Grant in Aid Up gradation of COE lifestyle intervention on cardiology for 5 crores with AYUSH, GoK letter was sent to AYUSH, GoI dated 29/3/2012.
- Ministry of AYUSH, GoI dated 11/05/2012 for clarification.
- Clarification was sent with recommendation Department of Health and Family welfare GoK dated 13/09/2012 and forwarded to GoI dated 12/10/2012.
- Recommendation letter for the credentials as per the scheme guidelines have been sent
- National Institution of Naturopathy – Sahyadri Institution
- Yenepoya Medical College
- Sri UT Khadher, Minister for Food & Public Distribution, GoK.
- Sri Oscar fernandes, Ex Minister for Road, Transport & Highways and Labor & Employment, GoI.
- SDM Presidential recommendation letters for CoE to Sri Harshavardhan, Ministry of Science and Technology, GoI & Sri Ananth kumar, Union minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers
- In the mean time CoE grant was increased by the government from 5 crores to 10 crores,
- The letter from Health and Family welfare Department of AYUSH, GoK was sent to AYUSH, GoI dated 10/7/2014
- AYUSH, GoI deferred the Project informing that CoE may not be suitable because under Naturopathy system not much equipment and infrastructures are required on 25th September 2014.
- Justification letter from SDMCNYS for the need of Grant in aid in the field of Naturopathy and yoga system for10 Crores was recommended and forwarded by the Govt. of Karnataka to the Ministry of AYUSH.
- PAC (Project Appraisal Committee) informed the institution to give the presentation on 29/6/2015 and asked us for the Deliverables year wise.
- Presentation was done by Dr. Prashanth Shetty, Principal & CMO, SDMCNYS & Hospital, and Dr. Naveen K.V. Yogakshema, Bengaluru at Delhi.
- Revised Scheme guidelines was sent by AYUSH, GoI
- Project Screening committee was formed from AYUSH, GoI visited our college and hospital.
- Members visited are
- Dr. Dinesh Katoch, Joint Advisory Member – Ayurveda AYUSH, GoI
- Mr. Kathri, Under Secretary, AYUSH, GoI
- Project appraisal committee recommended to change the title from Cardiology to Metabolic & Lifestyle diseases on 15/02/2016.
- Resubmission was done for 10 Crores by changing the title to CoE on YOGA AND NATUROPATHY CLINICAL PRACTICE, INTERVENTIONS AND RESEARCH IN
- METABOLIC AND LIFESTYLE DISORDERS
- Project approval committee dated 30/3/2017 approved our Institution as center of Excellence for research center in Naturopathy and yogic sciences by AYUSH, GoI with change in the scheme guidelines and grant ratio
- 60% AYUSH GoI contribution and
- 40% from the promoter contribution
- Letter dated 27/05/2017 submitted to the department and minister requested to follow the original scheme guidelines 2014.
- They have considered our request, waved off 40% promoter contribution recommended in the PSC meeting 30/3/2017, received letter dated 12/10/2017.
- Unique Id of Niti Ayog was opened by the institution for SDME Society®.
- PFMS software training was taken by the AYUSH GOI Delhi.
- AYUSH GoI has given sanction letter of 1st installment and requested for the necessary documents dated 15/02/2018 and has been submitted BOND (Affidavit) –Undertaking– Bank guarantee
- 2nd YEAR DELIVERABLES and 2nd YEAR GRANT
- 3rd YEAR DELIVERABLES and 3rd YEAR GRANT
- Summary of the grant approved by the AYUSH, GoI
- Man power
- Equipment’s for the project
|Sl no.||Name||Designation||Work assigned in the Project||His/Her ability to perform the task|
|1.||Dr. Prashanth Shetty, BNYS, M.Sc.., Ph.D||Principal||Chief Co-ordinator and co- Principal investigator||Yes-in the capacity of the head of the institute|
|2.||Dr. Naveen K.V., BNYS, Ph.D.||Chief Research Consultant||Principal Investigator||Yes-By virtue of 21 years of research experience|
|3.||Dr. Manjunath N K., BNYS, Ph.D.||Research Consultant||Co-principal investigator||Yes- By virtue of 20 years of research experience|
|4.||Dr. Sujatha Dinesh, BNYS, M.Sc.||Associate Professor and Dean-PG Programs||Co-investigator [Integrative Cardiology]||Yes- by virtue of research experience during masters training and experience of in-house research|
|5.||Dr. Shivprasad Shetty, BNYS, M.Sc.||Assistant Professor and Dean-PG Programs||Co-investigator [Preventive Cardiology]||Yes- by virtue of experience of in-house research projects|
|6.||Dr. Geeta Shetty, BNYS, MD -Naturopathy||Associate Professor and Clinical coordinator||Co-investigator [Cardiac Rehabilitation]||Yes- by virtue of research experience during masters training|
|7.||Dr. Chandrakanth, BNYS, MD – Yoga.||Assistant professor and HOD Patghology||Co-investigator [Cardiac Rehabilitation]||Yes- by virtue of research experience during masters training|
|8.||Mrs. Jyothsna M. Sc. Microbiology||Associate Professor and HOD Microbiology||Senior Research Fellow||Yes- by virtue of research experience during PhD training|
|9.||Dr. Shashikiran||Research officer||Senior Research Fellow||Yes- by virtue of research experience during PhD training|
|10.||Dr. Nandeesh N . S BNYS., MD – Yoga||Assistant Professor||Project coordinator||Yes- by virtue of research experience during masters training|
|10.||Mr. Sudarshan||Lab Technician||Lab technician-biochemistry||Yes-in the execution of data collection|
|11.||Ms. Renuka||Data operator||Technical Staff||Yes-in the execution of data collection|
- Out come of COE
- Site for the CoE building.
- Appointment of the personnel.
- Procuring the equipments